Return to the Friends of Santa Teresa Park
- Attendees: Mike Boulland, Kitty
Monahan, Sam Drake, Ed Jackson, Greg Koopman, Ron Horii, Jan Shriner
(visiting park interpreter)
- July's meeting was canceled because of the holiday.
- County Park staffers are working on STAR reports. There are
teams studying volunteers, partners, communications, performance
measurements (how well the parks are meeting their mission statements),
revenue generation, efficiency, and financial sustainability. Each team
will come up with 3-5 recommendations. Final reports are due Aug. 16,
with a wrap-up on Aug. 22.
- Fandango is Aug. 24 from 5-8 pm. Jan Shriner is organizing
it. Setup starts at 3 pm. Cleanup should end ~10 pm. The Tamale Factory
is providing food. A ham radio search and rescue group is bringing
emergency lighting for nighttime cleanup. The Bernal Family is having
their family reunion in the park. Paul Bernal is not coming, but Greg
Smestad will be there and manning the Bernal Family table. Dennis Moran
will be doing caricatures. Janice Frazier will be bringing her horse,
Easy. The Muwekma will not be coming, but SJSU's Alan Levanthal will be
coming to talk about the Muwekma. The National Park Service will be
coming, with displays on the De Anza National Trail. Phyllis Carrasco
will be doing crafts. Dorene, Mike, Sam, Ed, Kitty, and Ron will be
coming to help out. Jenel may be coming with 4H. FOSTP will have 3
tables along the fence by the Caretakers House. Cars need to be cleared
out of the parking lot by 4:30. It needs to be kept open for exhibitors
to come in. Volunteers need to bring or buy dinner. Kitty will bring 4
Easy-ups. Jan is getting tables from the election office.
- Cleanup day has been confirmed for the Bernal Cross-Country
Team to work in the park: Thursday 9/12. There will be a meet on 9/19.
About 60 people are expected.
- There may be a volunteer BBQ in October. There won't be an
- There was no Parks Commission meeting in July. Gloria Gill
will make a presentation on volunteers at the August meeting.
- Mike finished the final report for the CAP 26 grant, and it
was accepted. He attended a CAP 27 workshop. Mike and Ron wrote and
submitted the CAP 27 grant application, which was granted.
- We had to report of a change in officers to the state.
Since Mario moved, we needed someone to replace him as treasurer. We
voted on and approved the change to Mike Boulland as treasurer.
- Ed said that there has been a lot of after-hours activity
at Santa Teresa Spring. The response time by the rangers and sheriffs
has been good. They'd like to see more bushes by the spring. It's bare
- Ron showed pictures of Festival in the Park at Hellyer;
reptile & amphibian night and micro-zoology night at the Bernal
Ranch; the Water, Wildlife, and Working Lands event at the Bernal Ranch
and Santa Teresa Spring; 4H rabbits; gardens around the ranch house;
the Joice and Norred Trails; Americorps working at the Muriel Wright
Center; Jan's Healthy Trails hike on the Norred Trail;