Friends of Santa Teresa Park Meeting, 6/7/18


    • Attendees: Mike Boulland, Kitty Monahan, Kim Gardner, Augusto Letona, Marilyn August, Ron Horii.
    • If we do a cleanup on Santa Teresa Blvd., we can't use the Beautify SJ Grant to pay for insurance. We would have to do it at our own risk. We still need to contact the City of San Jose if we want them to pick up the trash we gather.
    • We need to work on our newsletter, for handing out at National Night Out. We need to get the articles written in June. Ron will edit the newsletter in July. Kitty can write about the volunteer recognitions and awards. Mike can write about the plans for Curie Drive. Kitty can ask Annie Thomson for information about the Parks Strategic Plan.Kitty can write about Rancho San Vicente. The Koopmans should be able to write the garden boxes. Jorge should be able to write about Boy Scout projects. Ron can write about the Muriel Wright Center, our Beautify SJ Grant, the new volunteer system, Rick Leonard, John Dorrance, our hikes, and Santa Teresa Park events. We have $200 in our Beautify SJ Grant to pay for newsletter expenses.
    • Bank balance after all pending transactions: $2497.08. A check for $200 to UNSCC is outstanding.
    • John Gibbs, Mike Wasserman's Chief of Staff, is retiring. He is also on the County Parks & Recreation Commission. He will be moving to San Diego.
    • County Parks Director Robb Courtney will be retiring. 
    • There is a County Parks & Recreation Commissioner from the Santa Teresa area, Darryl Ospring.
    • We spent $200 on UNSCC membership, $150 for event (National Night Out) insurance.
    • National Night Out (NNO), August 7, 5:00 pm:
      • Gus showed a design for a FOSTP T-shirt. It was designed by a Baldwin parent who bikes in the park. The shirt has our FOSTP logo and a map of Santa Teresa Park. The shirts will cost $20 each. Our Beautify SJ Grant will pay $15/shirt. We can order the in increments of 12. We can start with 24 shirts. We can cut two checks to pay for them. One will be from the grant for $15/shirt. The rest will be for the balance from our account. We can reimburse by selling them or buying them ourselves.
      • We can get a vinyl banner to announce our National Night Out (NNO) event. It costs $17. We can publicize the event on Next Door. Mike has a draft for a flyer. He just needs to add the County Parks logo. We need to distribute the flyers to the neighborhood and to places like coffee shops and libraries. We need to get the Manila Drive neighbors involved. Mike will talk to Kevin and Eric. We need to invite Sergio Jimenez and Ash Kalra. We should get Kaiser involved. We can see if we can leave flyers at Kaiser.
      • We'll have a special NNO meeting at 6:30 pm on 6/20/18 at the Santa Teresa Golf Course restaurant.
      • We have money to pay for entertainment at NNO. Gus knows a DJ with A/V equipment. We could see about getting a group from Santa Teresa High School. Marilyn has a neighbor in the high school's band.
      • Mike said that all permits for NNO have been filled out. That includes part permits, food permit, NNO registration, police report, and insurance.
      • Mike met with Elizabeth Evans and Sr. Ranger Frank Weiland about NNO and providing Fandango-like activities. Elizabeth is the supervisor for the park interpreters. She will provide 2 park interpreters for NNO from 5 pm to 7:30 pm. They will open the house and barn and provide activities or tours.
      • Mike will bring carnival games for NNO.
      • The $450 fee to use the Bernal Ranch facilities for NNO was waived because County Parks is a co-sponsor of the event.
    • Mike met local author Jenny Walicek, who wrote a book called MINE:  El Despojo de Maria Zacarias Bernal Berreyesa. Maria was a Bernal from Rancho Santa Teresa. She married Jose Berryessa from Rancho San Vicente, which included the Almaden Valley. Jenny lives in Almaden. We should invite her to NNO. She might want to talk about her book.
    • Concerning the Curie Drive trail/widening project: Helen Chapman in Councilmember Sergio Jimenez's office called Robb Courtney about it. Robb said it would be done. Park staff will make a dirt path along Curie Drive when they have time. Sergio also talked to Mike Wasserman about it, who said Parks is working on it.
    • Our 501c3 application is on hold until September.
    • Marilyn said she thought that Santa Teresa Spring has stopped flowing.
    • The Q-Spot restaurant in the banquet facility closed. Plans for re-opening or moving are up in the air. We can still have our meetings here (which we did).
    • Ron showed pictures: Bike demo day at the Pueblo Area, flowers blooming, the Norred Trail, the Stile Ranch Trail, Nature Trail signs, the Ohlone Trail, someone locked the trail gate behind the driving range (unlocked later), coyote by the upper clubhouse, garden boxes, owl, Santa Teresa Spring, grafitti on the Pyzak Ranch buildings, fire by the archery range, Curie/San Ignacio intersection, drones and campers at the Bernal Road parking lot, Ridge Trail views and grafitti, trash along Santa Teresa Blvd. at the start of the Coyote Valley.
    Return to the Friends of Santa Teresa Park Home Page

       Created 6/14/18 by Ronald Horii, secretary of the Friends of Santa Teresa Park