Friends of Santa Teresa Park Meeting Minutes for 6/6/02
- Attendees: Mike Boulland, Ronald Horii, Kitty Monahan, Steve Crockett,
Holly Davis, Rick Leonard, Dorothy Wuss, Donna Steiner, John Dorrance
- Mike joined the Silicon Valley Parks Foundation on behalf of FOSTP.
- We decided not to participate in the Adopt-A-Street program at this
- May 4: Mike will lead the Argonauts on a Bernal History Walk at 9:30
am to 2:00 pm, starting at Baldwin School.
- May 18: National River Day creek clean-up.
- June 29: Bernal/Joice/Gulnac Ranch dedication.
- Volunteer hours:
- Holly Davis: 16
- Ron Horii: 10
- Kitty Monahan: 4
- Mike Boulland: 30
- Dorothy Wuss: 3
- Donna Steiner: 10
- Rick Leonard: 10
- Mario Blaum: 10
- Steve Crockett: 12
- Bernal-Gulnac-Joice Ranch Dedication (Mike)
- The dedication will be on June 29th from 11:00 to 1:00.
- Mike, Robin, and Kitty met with Tamara Shear to plan the dedication.
- Mike's class passed on flyers on the event to houses along Heaton
- Neighbors from Bernal to Camino Verde were informed of the event.
- Buck Norred's will be open. People can go in to see it, but we won't
be taking people there from Joice-Bernal.
- Ron will help with a multimedia presentation in the barn.
- Ron will take pictures of the event
- Mike will give history talks.
- Mike's class will be giving historical skits on the Legend of Santa
Teresa Springs and Dottie's Pond.
- There will be a peace treaty signing re-enactment at the Springs.
- There will be a booth where volunteers will give away sample fruit.
- Paul Bernal and Paul Romero will stand in front of the house.
- 4H will be there and will set up posters about the chicken coop.
- A Muwekma Ohlone Indian girl will be there in native costume.
- There will be horse-drawn carriage rides and a petting zoo.
- There will be a BBQ. We'll be giving away hot dogs.
- Sweet Tomatoes will provide free cupcakes and bicuits.
- We'll be giving away bottled water with Santa Teresa Springs labels
on them. Great Oaks Water will provide them.
- UNSCC insurance covers the event (outside the park boundaries).
- Kitty has arranged for 15 hay bales to be donated. They will be used
for seats for the dedication. Mike and Kitty will bring trucks to pick them
up. We'll need help on Friday the 28th to move them around.
- We got a use permit from Bernal School to use their chairs.
- The Bernal School 8th grade band will provide entertainment.
- The chairs will be in Randy Tyler's room at Bernal. We will need about
25 chairs for the band, 75 for other people.
- We'll move the chairs on Friday the 28th. They will be put in the
barn and moved out on Saturday morning.
- Baldwin School kids will give out lemonade and water.
- Boy Scouts will come in uniform and will talk about their projects
at the ranch, like the chicken coop.
- Dorothy will man a table for FOSTP. We'll need informational handouts.
We can pass out copies of the park's official brochure. Ron will help prepare
a brochure for FOSTP.
- We need a shade cover. Dorothy has a 10X10 cover.
- Ron updated the Website with an announcement on the dedication.
- We should put a notice on southsanjose.com
about the dedication. They have an events section that would be appropriate
- There will be a blacksmith coming, Chuck Ferrier.
- Holly will bring 2 horses.
- People who are helping out need to meet at the ranch at 8:00 am on
Saturday the 29th.
- We can put an FOSTP poster on the park sign in the Pueblo area. We
need to ask John or Robin.
- Kitty bought a plaque for Jim McGrath. Mike and Kitty will present
it to him.
- Account balance: $1073.33
- Ron Horii showed a slide show of the park conditions:
- Preparing for ground cover around the ranch.
- Chickens in the chicken coop.
- Metal sign supports up around the ranch and springs.
- Farm equipment along the retaining wall between the barns.
- Trail sign missing at entrance to Joice-Bernal Trail.
- Bent grate on cistern below the springs.
- New horse facilities at Buck Norred's.
- Trail connector from Coyote-Alamitos Canal to Ohlone Trail near Nature
Trail is overgrown.
- Repair work on Nature Trail done on Trail Day looks good.
- Poison oak patch on Ohlone Trail trimmed back. Some people are going
through. Others are still going around it.
- Big Boy Scout campout in the Pueblo Area on 5/4.
- New blank sign board at entrance to Mine Trail at end of Pueblo Area
parking lot. Another blank sign board at entrance to Joice-Bernal Trail.
We can put on FOSTP flyer there when they put up a corkboard on the sign
board. The poster should be waterproof and fade-resistant.
- Makeshift bridge over creek on Fortini Trail (need a real bridge).
- Ron made a Web page for California
Trail Day held on 4/20/02 at the Nature Trail/Ohlone Trail.
- Dorothy showed pictures of the statuette of Saint Teresa. She also
showed the family origins of the Bernals, Joices, and Gulnacs.
- Mike and Dorothy are going to lunch on the 25th, looking at historic
sites here and in Pleasanton.
- A ranger is moving into the Rosetto House.
- The Pyzak property sale is still under negotiation.
- Chris Crocket is the new volunteer coordinator, replacing John Heenan.
- Next meeting: August 1 (no meeting in July). We can have a nighttime
star gazing after the meeting. (The Perseid meteor shower is in August. It
may be visible.)
Secretary, Friends of Santa Teresa Park
Return to the Friends of Santa Teresa Park
Created 6/6/2002 by Ronald Horii,
secretary of the Friends of Santa Teresa Park