Return to the Friends of Santa Teresa Park
- Attendees: Mike Boulland, Ronald Horii,
Monahan, Ed Jackson, Woody Collins, Holly Davis, Sam Drake, Mario
and Jenel Vincze, and Gloria Gill (manager of volunteer programs in the
County Parks Dept.)
- Gloria Gill talked about volunteer events:
- She met with Kathleen Hooper, who said that volunteers
are needed to help at a couple of Healthy Trails out-reach events.
Kathleen later sent out a note with this information:
- Toppan Photomasks: 2920 Coronado Dr., Santa Clara.
Thursday, Sept. 18 from 1:00pm - 5:30 pm and Friday, Sept. 19, from
3:00 pm - 7:30.pm. 210 employees. They want us to register their
employees in Healthy Trails.
- Abbott Hematology, Santa Clara (I have to call for the
address, probably 5440 Patrick Henry Dr.). Thursday, October 23, 2008,
Event hours: 10 am - 2:00 pm Must set up at 9am would be back about
3:00 pm. 500 employees. They want Healthy Trails materials &
- Gloria said that Robin Schaut wants to thank to all the
volunteers who helped at Family Fandango.
- Sept. 6 is a trail work day at Coyote Lake on the
- The South Bay Fishing in the City event is coming up on
Sept. 13-14 at Los Gatos Creek Park. There will be a catered BBQ after
the event for volunteers.
- Coastal Clean-Up day is Sept. 20 at several parks. There
will be an after-party for volunteers at Vasona from 12-2.
- 10/4: trail day at Ed Levin from 9-11.
- 10/11: South Bay Fishing in the City at Lake Cunningham.
- 10/25: Volunteer BBQ at Vasona, 12 noon.
- 10/25: Penitencia Creek Trail dedication.
- <>Gloria is working on an agreement for Friends
which she'll present at the next VCC meeting. She is working on a
request protocol for Friends groups to request an event with a 14-day
minimum advance notice. She wants to see activities list so she can get
approval from Robin and the rangers.
- Since we schedule our meetings with the Santa Teresa Golf
Course, we don't need to get permission from the County Parks.
- We have adopted the Norred Trail. Any trail work has to be
done under the direction of a trail crew leader, like Woody or Sam.
- Mike talked to Robin about putting an interpretive plaque
on Coyote Peak. She thinks all plaques should be at the Bernal Ranch.
She agreed to have a plaque at the griststone. Mike already knows what
it should say. It will be attached to the fence above the stone. It
won't be on a stanchion, as the yard will be re-organized. We can use
the dedication of the plaque as a "Pioneer Day." (We'll have to call it
something else.) We agreed to have the event in the spring of next
year. It will be a FOSTP event.
- We talked about liability issues at events. Gloria says
that volunteers are immune from being sued. It's a federal law.
- The Santa Teresa Historic Area Site Plan: Antoinette
presented the plan at the Historic Heritage Commission, which approved
it. There will be a second community meeting in September (no date has
been set yet). Mario went to the meeting. Some neighbors said their
concerns weren't being addressed. One of the things they were concerned
about was having a turn-around on Manila Drive.
- One of the concens about the site plan is being able to
access the Norred Trail directly from the historic site, without having
to go all the way to the Joice Trail or Mine Trail. To do that requires
crossing the Coyote-Alamitos Canal. Mike sent an e-mail to the Water
District asking if that were possible. They said they do it all the
- Ed said that maintenance crews removed and dug up the
coyote bushes in front of Santa Teresa Spring. They cleared everything
all the way down to the ground. They said they were doing it for
- There was a homeless person sleeping at the pond.
- There is no gate at the spring, just tape, which is easily
- We have $725.11 in the bank.
- The 11/15 trail day has been changed from the Stile Ranch
Trail to Skyline (Sanborn). It will be a Bay Area Ridge Trail and REI
- The Santa Teresa
Community Fest will be on Sept. 20. Mike sent in the application.
We're at table 12C, next to Paul Bernal in 12A and the STFNA in 12B. 4H
is at 8B (so far). They will be have chicken bingo. We'll have an
table. Ron will be coming early in the morning. Mike will provide the
Easy-ups and tables. Ron will be taking pictures. Ed and Ron will be
there all day. Mike will come at noon. Mario will be out of town. Same
can come in the morning. Mike will bring the ranch model and banner.
Sam will bring geocaching stuff. Mike wants to do an adobe brick craft.
- Ron attended a 501c3 class given by the UNSCC. He posted
class notes to our Yahoo Groups site.
- Ron showed pictures of Family Fandango. There are pictures
of it on our website: Family
Fandango Day, August 23, 2008, Staff,
Volunteers, and Exhibitors.
- Volunteer Hours for August.
- Ronald Horii: 55 hours,
photography, meeting minutes, Fandango, trails, 3
hours FOSTP meeting
- Mike Boulland: 20 hours, Fandango, meeting planning,
3 hours FOSTP meeting
- Kitty Monahan: 3 hours FOSTP meeting
- Woody Collins: 3 hours FOSTP meeting
- Holly Davis: 3 hours FOSTP meeting.
- Sam Drake: 3 hours Fandango, 3 hours FOSTP meeting.
- Ed Jackson: 5.25 hours Fandango, 0.5 hours grafitti
removal. 3 hours
- Jenel Vincze: 3 hours FOSTP meeting.
- Paul Vincze: 3 hours FOSTP
- Mario Blaum: 8 hours Fandango, meetings, 3 hours FOSTP