Return to the Friends of Santa Teresa Park
- Attendees: Mike Boulland, Kitty
Monahan, Sam Drake, Ed Jackson, Greg & Roxanne
Horii, Kim Gardener, and Monika Kress.
- Fandango will not happen this year because the parks
department is short on interpreters.
- Last month's minutes were approved.
- Treasurer's report: $520.75 balance, with 10 receipts
pending. We approved the treasurer's report.
- At the Park Commission Board meeting, the strategic capital
plan for the next 2 years was shown. The widening of Curie Drive is in
- Ed said that the sheriff's said not to paint over the
graffiti on the canal because they need to take pictures of it for
evidence. There was a truck that came, and a contractor painted the
canal with a power sprayer, but his hose wasn't long enough to get all
the graffiti. Ed doesn't paint over trees or wood.
- Ron showed pictures: sunset at the Stile Ranch trailhead,
graffiti on the boulder by the Ohlone Trail, graffiti on the
Ohlone/Coyote Peak sign, cattle fencing on the hills, gate on the
Coyote Peak Trail, dead trees, oak galls, Bernal School students
practicing cross-country, trail conditions on the Norred Trail (good),
BBQ in the Norred Barn, views from the Vista Loop, painted-over
graffiti on the canal and tree by Santa Teresa Spring, burned holes in
the sign by the spring, vines and dirt in front of the spring.
- We will have a cleanup day at Santa Teresa Spring,
clearing away the dirt and thorny blackberry vines from in front of the
spring's font and
shrine on 9/26 from 9 am to 12 pm. Bring tools and heavy gloves. We
will have a potluck lunch afterwards.
- The next Historic Heritage Grant cycle is March 2016. We
need to prepare a proposal for saving the Pyzak House, which is in a
state of arrested decay. It has termites and water damage, which
stopped the initial restoration. We need to make a project proposal.
Mike did some research on the history of the house. It was the wedding
present for Jacoba Bernal, daughter of Ygnacio Bernal. She married a
Fisher, from the Coyote Valley. Kim Brosseau, who is acting head park
planner, needs to approve the plan. Julie Lee can advise.
- The second Parks for Life Challenge ended recently. The
number of teams increased from 254 to 380. The next Parks for Life
Challenge runs from 10/1 to 12/15.
- Greg passed out samples of graffiti
removal kits, consisting of wipes and gloves. The wipes work on
smooth non-porous surfaces, like signs.
- Ed said there were 2 drug busts at the spring. There was
graffiti on the canal walls by the spring. Ed used to get paint from
the San Jose graffiti office, but they closed. He uses his own paint.
- The latest "Play Here" guide is out, available online and
in hardcopy form.
- Sept. 12: Night of the Reptiles, Bernal Ranch, 7:30-10:00
pm. Herpetologists will bring snakes and lizards. The classic movie
"Godzilla" will be shown.
- Sept. 17: Oak Grove School District cross country race at
the Pueblo Area, Santa Teresa,
- Sept. 19: Ash Kalra's District 2 Village Fest, Coronado Ave
@Village Oaks Shopping Center, 11am-3pm. Sam will have a booth for the
Umunhum Conservancy. 501c3 organizations get to have a free booth,
otherwise there's a charge. Since we have other events to go to that
day, we don't have anyone to man our booth, so we won't have one.
- Sam will have an Umunhum Conservancy booth at the Almaden
Art and Wine Festival on 9/20, and Day on the Bay in Alviso on Oct. 11.
- Basim Jaber will give presentations on the Almaden Air
Force Station at the Morgan Hill Library on 9/30 (660 W. Main St., 7pm)
and at the Casa Grande on 10/25 (also 12/20/15 and 2/21/16).
- Sept. 19: Chitactac Family Day, Chitactac-Adams County
- Sept. 19: Coyote Valley Harvest Feast, 11am-3pm, Coyote
Valley Open Space Preserve.
- Sept. 27: A Taste of Archery, Santa Teresa Archery Range,
- Oct. 17: Geocaching class, Wood Road Trail, Almaden
- Oct. 17: Volunteer Recognition Barbecue, 12:00-2:00 pm,
Pueblo Group Area, Santa Teresa. Volunteers with at least 5 hours of
volunteer time will be invited. Submit outstanding hours online or to
firstname.lastname@example.org before Aug. 31.
- Oct. 17: Outer Limits Night, Bernal Ranch, 7:30-10:30 pm.
Bay Area astronomers will bring telescopes for stargazing. Episodes of
the TV series "The Outer Limits" will be shown.
- Nov. 14: Ron Horii's Introduction to Outdoor Photography
class, Bernal Ranch, 10am-1pm.
- March 19, 2016: Anza Expedition Hike, Pueblo Day Use Area,
- There will be a big cleanup day at multiple parks in April.