Friends of Santa Teresa Park Meeting, 8/6/09
Return to the Friends of Santa Teresa Park
- Attendees: Mike Boulland, Ronald Horii,
Monahan, Paul and Jenel Vincze, Shirin
Darbani, Roland LeBrun. New: Dan Schneider, who lives on Catamaran.
- Mike presented and discussed meeting rules.
- Our account balance is $604.48. We spent $392.82. We
deposited $641. We have volunteered 627 hours so far.
- For the Mounted Ranger Unit Appreciation event, Kitty spent
$40.97 on trophies. Ron spent $37.17. They returned the checks for
reimbursement as donations. Mike spent $143.93
- We got $500 for the 2009-2010 CAP Grant. That CAP money can
only be used for expenditures after July 1, 2009.
- We received $71 from Lisa Killough for the MRU event. It
was a personal check. We should write a thank you.
- MRU expenses were $244.18, including materials for Fandango.
- City news from Shirin Darbani:
- There's a new District
2 Newsletter from Ash Kalra's office.
- On Aug. 29th at 10 am, there will be a dedication
ceremony for the Albertson Parkway at Jaggers Drive and Conejo Drive.
- Ash Kalra has office hours at the Southside Senior Center
and the Edenvale Library.
- San Jose Prepared will have a free 2-hour home &
disaster preparedness class on Dec. 3 from 6-8 at Southside Senior
- There will be an Indian flag-raising next Saturday at
- There are several vacant commission seats (see the
- The City of San Jose's Housing Dept. has help for
- Ash will tour Santa Teresa Park on Sept. 11 from 2-4.
- They are taking nominations for Good Neighbor of the
Month and Small Business of the Month.
- Shirin brought maps of the Coyote-Alamitos Canal. The
city doesn't own any part of it.
- The Basking Ridge Neighborhood Association has been
requesting that the county-owned parking lot for the trail along
Basking Ridge Ave. be closed at night. They are having trouble with
vandalism and drug-dealing.
- Next month, Shirin will bring Adopt-a-Trail information.
- There were 5 Neighborhood Night Out events in the
district. None were nearby.
- Next month, Eric Goodrich will come to our meeting to talk
about how we can help with graffiti removal in the park. Shirin will
have someone from San Jose's graffiti abatement program come. They have
- The CEQA review for the Santa
Teresa Historic Site Plan will be on 8/11/09 at the Santa Teresa
Golf Course Upper Clubhouse, 7-9 pm.
- The Santa Teresa
Community Fest will be on Sept. 19 at George Page Park. We will
have a booth there. We need to start setting up at 9:00. Mike, Kitty,
and Ron will be there. Jenel will be there for 4H. Mike will bring the
tables and Easy-Ups.
- We should make up another newsletter for the Community Fest.
- Mike met with Gloria Gill and Robin Schaut on next year's
calendar. Robin will support our events in the park as park activities.
They can't be fund-raisers. If we do a fund-raiser, we will need event
insurance. Robin supports having interpretive signs, but not all over.
Our calendar has the same activities as last year, but with different
- Roland asked why the split-rail fence was placed around the
Caretaker's House. Ron said that he heard it was to keep mountain
bikers from riding through there.
- Roland said he knows of 3 attempts to set the deck around
Santa Teresa Spring on fire 2-3 years ago.
- The old barn will be restored and is supposed to be open by
December. It will be used for animals. 4-H will do a walk-through. They
were asked what the minimum requirements are for animals. An animal
expert will come. The corrals must be secure. The animals will be
locked up at night. Jason, who has the rabbits, wants to be a docent at
the barn with the animals.
- Someone tried to break into the barn by the rabbit cages.
The window now has barbed wire.
- Jenel said that someone took her son's bell peppers from
the 4H garden at the ranch. They were going to be displayed at the
County Fair. They may have been taken by accident during cleaning up.
- The 4H use agreement is expiring. They want to get more
verbiage in the new agreement on the day-to-day participation by 4H and
the park staff. Jenel will handle the gardening program.
- Next month's meeting will focus on how to deal with
graffiti and vandalism.
- There has been graffiti at the spring. We talked about
putting a webcam up at the spring to catch vandals, but who is going to
watch it? We had the same discussion about catching vandals on the
Created 8/25/09 by Ronald
Horii, secretary of the Friends of Santa Teresa Park