Friends of Santa Teresa Park Meeting, 7/6/06
Return to the Friends of Santa Teresa Park
- Attendees: Mike Boulland, Ronald Horii, Kitty Monahan, Paul
Jenel Vincze, Mario Blaum, Ed Jackson, Sam Drake, Holly Davis,
- We have $233.44 in our account. We got donations: $40 from
Kitty and Mike, $50 from Ed.
- No news on the new trail or the new master plan. We should
come up with a list of ideas and issues for the master plan. Some
issues: whether dogs, horses, and bikes should be allowed on the
- There was an attempted break-in along Manila Drive on July
2 or 3 about 1:30 am. 2 girls were seen acting as lookouts on Manila
Way. We suggested putting a webcam at the springs to watch for
drug-dealing. The sheriff and ranger have been coming out more, but
they drive by and flash their lights. People who are up at the springs
at night just duck or hide in the canal. The patrols should stop and
walk up to the springs. A ranger did stop and talk to people watching
fireworks from the canal on the 4th of July.
- There was a small fire at the free parking lot on Bernal
Road at the Mne Trail crossing. There was another fire by the Boundary
- The gate at Brockenhurst has been left open. Cars have been
going in and out. The fence near there has been pulled down.
- Sam said there was an informational meeting with the parks
people on geocaching. They are close to having a policy.
- Holly spotted 3 people heading into the park with backpacks
at night. There were rescue people practicing an operation.
- Mike has been working on the draft for our 5013c
application. Our old bylaws deliberately did not include a section
saying we would become a 5013c organization. Mike and Kitty have been
working on a similar document for 4 months. They had people from Zoe
Lofgren's and Rosemary Kamei's offices review it. Sam reviewed it.
Mike's house is listed as our office. We have a PO box. We have a board
of directors made up of 6 people, normal offiicers, and members. We
have 1 month to review the document. We should put a copy on our
- There was a training session held at the Ohlone Trail for
trail leads. Woody is a trail lead and can lead trail work events now.
- There will be a radio drop box on the back of the restroom
at the BGJ ranch. It's for trail watch use. It holds radios and safety
supplies. It is secured with a combination lock.
- The trails look good for the most part. There is a seep on
the Hidden Springs Trail that may not be a natural seep.
- The Santa Teresa Community Fest will be held as usual in
George Miner Park at Santa Teresa Blvd.and Miyuki Drive. It will be on
September 16. We need to get there early to setup. Mike won't be able
to make. Ron will organize. If we become a 5013c organization, we can
pass out flyers asking for tax-deductible donations.
- Ron showed a slideshow
of the work day at Calero at the Canada Del
Oro side. Sam, Woody, and Ron were there, along with Roy Ichinaga, some
Boy Scouts, and other volunteers.
- Ron showed pictures: views from the Vista Loop Trail, new
buildings visible from the trail at the Muriel Wright Center, new
split-rail fence around the free parking lot on Bernal Road.
- Mike will be having a book signing for his book on New
Almaden, which he co-authored with Art Boudreault. It will be at the
Casa Grande in New Almaden on July 12 from 6-9 pm.
- We need to submit our meeting insurance form to UNSCC. We
also need to see which of their meetings we need to attend.
- Volunteer Hours for June
- Ronald Horii: 34
- Mike Boulland: 15
- Kitty Monahan: 3
- Holly Davis: 8
- Sam Drake: 5
- Woody Collins: 2
- Paul Vincze: 20
- Jenel Vincze: 15
- Ed Jackson: 5
- Mario Blaum: 12
Created 7/14/06 by
Horii, secretary of the Friends of Santa Teresa Park