Return to the Friends of Santa Teresa Park
- Attendees: Mike Boulland, Ronald Horii, Kitty Monahan, Paul
Jenel Vincze, Mario Blaum, Ed Jackson, Sam Drake, Holly Davis,
- We have $233.44 in our account, after paying UNSCC $200 for
insurance and $20 for our annual fee to the state.
- Mike has been paying $20 a month for our website,
- Holly want to get more members for 4H. She will be going to
- Report from Eric Goodrich, senior ranger:
- On Jan. 1st, the department reorganized the way the parks
are managed by the senior rangers. Eric handles Region 2, which
includes Ed Levin, Santa Teresa, Hellyer, and Field Sports.
- The old process was that the operations supervisor would
attend the volunteer group meetings. Now the preferred method of
communications is through the volunteer coordinator (Heidi
McFarland). However, Eric said he could come as needed.
- A woman in her late 40's broke her ankle while hiking on
the Rocky Ridge Trail. She was helicoptered out.
- A hiker was rescued after suffering from hypertension on
the Hidden Springs Trail.
- A bird landing on a power line started a 1/2 acre fire by
the Boundary Trail, mostly on the IBM side.
- Greg Bringelson has 3 people to work on trails. 1 is out
- Most trail work is being done by Maintenance.
- Trail leads can organize their own projects.
- The Ohlone Trail needs brushing and tread work. It is too
narrow. The trail was re-routed around a seep.
- Split rail fencing has been put up around the Pueblo
Area, the parking lot near IBM, and the Heaton Moor entrance to keep
4WD vehicles out.
- The Brockenhurst gate is not open as a park entrance. The
negative declaration has been approved.
- The pond in the golf course is part of the golf course
and is off-limits. It was made off-limits because there were 2
- The muddy area on the Mine Trail above the Stile Ranch
Trail junction is due to a seasonal spring. There's no easy way to fix
it. The trail needs to be moved and outsloped.
- Mike: the master plan revision for Santa Teresa Park at the
Pyzak Ranch. The planning has been approved for FY 2007. Funds will be
available July 1 to start the planning process. A contract will be
awarded for the planning in October, and work will begin on it. There
will be meetings held to discuss it. When the plans are complete,
funding will be sought to implment the plan. Comments: what about the
Bonetti Ranch and Bear Tree lot?
- The new trail behind the MRU is being re-routed to allow
for mult-use. There should be a new map by July 1. There will be
a new CEQA document. They expect the trail to be constructed by October.
- Mike has a draft of a 5013c document from another group. We
can modify it and use it. We need to modify the by-laws to state that
we will be a 5013c organization. Once we're a 5013c organization, we
can accept donations, and they will be tax deductible. Ron said we
should target getting 5013c status so we can ask for donations at the
Santa Teresa Community Fest.
- The Santa Teresa Community Fest will be held as usual in
George Miner Park at Santa Teresa Blvd.and Miyuki Drive. It will be on
September 16. We need to get there early to setup. Mike won't be able
to make. Ron will organize. We can setup a booth next to the STFNA. 4H
will have a petting zoo there.
- Ed Jackson said that the Water District cut down the weeds
next to the canal around Santa Teresa Spring.
- Mike would like to see the BGJ Ranch open on Sunday. The
problem is that there's no money to hire someone to do it.
- Jenel got plans for a new design for the heritage garden at
the BGJ Ranch. She contacted the Native Plant Society and was referred
to Katherine Morrison, a landscape architect. She came and measured the
garden and came with a design a week later. They have a grant to pay
for it. They plan to plant in the fall.
- Mike wrote a letter for a state award, acknowledging John
- There was a trail work day on the Rocky Ridge Trail on
5/6/06. Sam and Ron were there. There was about 2 dozen volunteers
there. They split into several groups working on different parts of the
trail. Ron has a webpage
on it and a slideshow.
- Ron made a Powerpoint slideshow
on the County Parks.
- Ron showed pictures taken on 6/1/06, showing deer by Bernal
Road, the corral fence in the Pueblo Area (needs repair), the new
fences around the Pueblo Area, the Hidden Springs Trail with growing
thistles, the new fence by the canal at the MRU, heavy grass growth on
the Mine Trail just below the Bernal Hill Loop Trail junction, the
muddy spot on the Pueblo Trail by the corner of Bernal Road and the
Pueblo Area road.
- On 6/3/06, there is a work day at Calero at the Canada Del
Oro side.On the same day, they are also working at Stevens Creek on the
Tony Look Trail.
- Volunteer Hours for May
- Ronald Horii: 64
- Mike Boulland: 15
- Kitty Monahan: 3
- Holly Davis: 2
- Sam Drake: 5
- Woody Collins: 2
- Paul Vincze: 20
- Jenel Vincze: 8
- Ed Jackson: 5
- Mario Blaum: 8