Friends of Santa Teresa Park Meeting, 6/4/15
Return to the Friends of Santa Teresa Park
- Attendees: Mike Boulland, Kitty
Monahan, Sam Drake, Martin Reinders, Greg & Roxanne
Koopman, and Ron
- Last month we talked about the Santa Teresa Historic Site
Plan at the Pyzak/Bonetti Ranch and Bear Tree Lot. $600K in capital
funds will be used to widen Curie, but implementing the total plan
would cost $7.2M, which is unfunded. It has 9 phases and could be built
- We talked about the Pyzak House. It has severe termite
damage and may need to be torn down. Marty suggested trying to get a
grant from the Historic Heritage Commission to restore it. They have
$300K total for historic restoration grants. Someone in the Parks
Department, like Mark Frederick, would need to put together a grant
request. Kitty will ask Mark about it.
- Part of the funding to buy the Pyzak Ranch came from the
Open Space Authority's 20% fund, requested by Forrest Williams. The OSA
will have more money available in 2016 due to Measure Q. Funds may be
available to help implement the Santa Teresa Historic Site Plan.
- Treasurer's report (Greg):
Balance: $819.55. There is a $30 PO Box fee outstanding. Mike got $25
for giving a talk to a women's group.
- Ron made a flyer to
pass out at Festival in the Park. It
will be passed out at the Parks booth.
- Ron is editing the newsletter. Sam can pass it out at the
4th of July event at Almaden Lake Park. He has a booth for the Umunhum
- Ron entered a pictures for the Visual San Jose Historic
Photo Contest. His picture of the Casa Grande was chosen as a finalist.
It will be on display at Southern Lumber until June 16. The awards
ceremony will be on June 16 at 6:30 pm at Southern Lumber.
- Mike asked Julie Lee about doing a van tour of Santa Teresa
Park. She said it was OK. He'll write up the proposal. (Marty said he
is a County employee and can drive park vans.)
- Roxanne talked about the next cross-country race at Santa
Teresa Park. It will be held on Thursday 9/24 from 3:30-5. 3 schools
will be participating. The cross-country season is 6 weeks long. There
is a meet every Thursday. They race on dirt trails.
- We talked about having a FOSTP recognition event, like a
potluck BBQ in the fall, maybe at the end of August.
- The Village Fest is being organized by Councilmember Ash
Kalra's office. It will be at the Village Oaks Shopping Center on
Cottle Road on Sept. 19. We could have a booth there. Sam is interested
in having an Umunhum Conservancy booth there. We are waiting to get an
application form from Ash Kalra's office. There may be conflicts. Sept.
19 is also Chitactac Family Day, Coastal Cleanup Day, and Coyote Valley
Farm Fest Day. We'll see who is free to setup and man our own booth.
- The CAP Grant final report is due in September.
- Sam will be at Festival in the Park in the Umunhum
- Sam will be leading a geocaching class at Almaden
Quicksilver's Wood Road Trail on June 13.
- There will be a presentation on Mt. Umunhum and the Almaden
Air Force Station at the Casa Grande on June 14 and the Campbell
Library on June 17 at 7 pm.
Created 6/16/15 by Ronald
Horii, secretary of the Friends of Santa Teresa Park