Return to the Friends of Santa Teresa Park
- When we arrived at the clubhouse, we found the rug was
being cleaned, so we met at
the Vinczes' house. Attendees: Mike Boulland, Ronald Horii, Kitty
Mario Blaum, Ed Jackson, Woody Collins, Holly Davis, Sam Drake, Paul
and Jenel Vincze
- 4H report: They planted new flowers at the Bernal Ranch 2
weeks ago. They will start having 2 meetings a month. They will be
having awards in June. Jenel will be the new club leader next year.
- Mike, report from Julie Lee: They will be putting a sewer
connection in at the Bonetti House. The Pyzak House roof is being
restored. Getting rid of goat grass didn't work. They will be trying to
burn out the goat grass with torches. Volunteers will be helping to
pull out thistle and teasel.
- Saturday, May 3, trail day at the Fortini Trail. Meet at
the Stile Ranch trailhead.
- Saturday June 7, trail day at the Stile Ranch Trail.
- Santa Teresa Historic Area Site Plan update, May 8, 7:00
- All interpreters at the Casa Grande in Almaden Quicksilver
will be moving to the Caretaker's House at the Bernal Ranch.
- The City of San Jose's Neighborhood Commission needs
alternates for commissioners. FOSTP is in 2 districts: 2 and 10. Ron
Horii will be a delegate for district 2. We need someone to represent
us from district 10.
- The Healthy Trails kickoff at Hellyer Park will be on May
- The Festival in the Park Health Fair will be held at
Hellyer Park on June 22. There will be a park friends and park
volunteer booth. The geocachers and 4H will have a booth.
- Holly said we have $125.11 in our account.
- Mike put $100 in our new account, which was required
because the CAP grant requires a checking account with 2 signatures.
It's at Wells Fargo. They waived the fees. We got free checks.
- Mike said the state non-profit organization filing fee is
due. It's $20, but if it's late, there's a $200 penalty.
- Holly said she doesn't want to be treasurer any more.
- The UNSCC fee is due July 1. The CAP grant starts July 1.
- Ed: people were at the spring at night. He reported the
license plate, descriptions of the car and people. The sheriff arrived.
- Someone stole turtles at the spring.
- There is a Healthy Trails hike Sunday May 4 from 12-3 at
the Fortini Trail.
- We will design a plaque for the top of Coyote Peak. Robin
Schaut will have the plaque made. A graphics artist will do the final
design. We want to do this by the end of June.
- Ed found graffiti in the canal near the spring. He covered
it up. There was also graffiti on the pipe crossing the canal by Bernal
- The Albertson Parkway will allow dogs.
- Woody: the June 7 trail day on the Stile Ranch will work on
the boggy area in the middle of the trail by the second bridge. The
Fortini Trail was graded with the Sweco bulldozer. The trail is flat,
with clay soil (poor drainage). It got double-tracked by trail users
because it got so muddy. They sloped the trail to improve drainage.
- Mike: the State Regional Water Quality Control agency
ticketed 2 mines in the Santa Teresa Hills. They sent a letter to the
property owner to clean up the Santa Teresa Mine. The mine produced
only 1 flask of mercury. There is a small amount of tailings. The
Bernal Mine is in Santa Teresa Park below the power towers on the
Bernal Hill Loop Trail. There is a brick furnace there. They didn't
find any mercury. There are rocks there, but not tailings.
- Sam is leading a geocaching hike at Almaden Quicksilver on
the Wood Road Trail on June 14, 8:45 to noon.
- The decrepit out-buildings at the Bonetti ranch were torn
- Volunteer Hours for March-April (no meeting in April):
- Ronald Horii: 45 hours March, 60 hours April, FOSTP
minutes, website, park pictures. 3 hours, FOSTP
- Mike Boulland: 10 hours March, 10 hours April, meeting
planning. 5 hours,
FOSTP meeting and prep.
- Kitty Monahan: 3 hours FOSTP meeting
- Woody Collins: 2 hours FOSTP meeting.
- Mario Blaum: 5 hours March, 5 hours April, trail watch, 3
hours FOSTP meeting.
- Holly Davis: 4 hours March, 4 hours April, gardening, 4H,
2 hours FOSTP meeting.
- Sam Drake: 2 hours FOSTP meeting.
- Ed Jackson: 4 hours March, 4 hours April, graffiti
removal. 3 hours FOSTP meeting.
- Paul Vincze: 15 hours March, 15 hours April, trail watch,
2 hours FOSTP meeting.
- Jenel Vincze: 5 hours March, 5 hours April, 4H
gardening, 2 hours FOSTP meeting.