Friends of Santa Teresa Park Meeting, 4/2/09
Return to the Friends of Santa Teresa Park
- Attendees: Mike Boulland, Ronald Horii,
Monahan, Ed Jackson, Woody Collins, Sam Drake, Jenel Vincze, Shirin
- Shirin Darbani, Communications Manager for Councilmember
Ash Kalra, said their newsletter came out
today. Our meeting and Sam's
geocaching class were listed in the newsletter. The STFNA was featured
in the current issue. They will feature us in their next issue in June.
They will take our picture at our next meeting.
- On Saturday May 9, 10am-12pm, there will be a budget
meeting in the Edenvale Library. The mayor or a representative will
give a presentation.
- Mike reported on the Santa Teresa Site Historic Plan.
- The final process for public input was the Historic
Heritage Commission presentation.
- It is now in the final documentation phase. Next will be
the CEQA process, the negative declaration report, then a presentation
before the Board of Supervisors. The final
plan is on the website.
- A turn-around at the end of Manila Drive is not needed.
Fire trucks can back up.
- The plan shows a potential future connection to the
- They will make sure that native plants are used in the
- Curie will be widened. There will be a stop sign at the
Albertson Parkway. We said that these improvements should be done soon
and not have to wait for the completion of the whole project.
- We voted to accept the minutes from last month's meeting.
- Mario Blaum is our treasurer. He wrote the treasurer's
report. We're using Quickbooks for non-profits to track our finances.
Our balance is $375.30. We owe a $20 fee to the state because we
- The volunteers banquet will be on Friday 4/3/09 at the
Campbell Community Center. 4 people in our group are getting an award,
as well as Coyote Crest 4H.
- Ron's photo class is on Saturday 4/4 at the Bernal Ranch.
About 30 people are signed up.
- Sam's geocaching class is on Saturday 4/11 at the Stile
Ranch/Fortini trail entrance. He has 5-6 helpers. About 24 have signed
- There will be a self-guided wildflower treasure hunt on the
Wood Road Trail in Almaden Quicksilver on 5/16 from 10-2.
- We will hold an event at the Bernal Ranch on July 12 at
1:00. It will be a history day and a potluck lunch. We will dedicate a
plaque for the griststone. Mike has a draft of the text for the plaque.
We will need event insurance.
- Festival in the Park will be held on June 20. Do we want to
have an FOSTP booth? We decided not to. 4H has an event to go to that
day and can't come.
- From 7/27-8/2 will be the Santa Clara County Youth Fair
at the County Fairgrounds. It will be for youths only. Adults can't
enter. On 7/27 will be a livestock weigh-in. Shows start on Tuesday.
- Fandango will be held at the Bernal Ranch on August 1.
FOSTP will have a booth. We will have an activity: making adobe bricks.
Kids will get in a mud puddle and make bricks with tongue depressors.
We will have an expert coming who made bricks as a kid.
- Mike went to Stanford to look up the records on Almaden.
The Berryessas came on the third day.
- Woody showed a slideshow of wildflowers.
- Ron showed a slideshow of Mike's history talk at Bernal
School, pig damage and plant growth along the Ohlone Trail, flowers
along the Mine, Fortini, and Stile Ranch Trails, construction of the
Albertson Parkway, chickens in the planter boxes, the Norred Trail, the
new fence by Santa Teresa Spring, Flowers on Bernal Hill, and posters
on the race on May 2.
- Sam said the EBRPD now has a geocaching policy. He went to
the board meeting. They blessed the concept of geocaching. They don't
have official rules yet.
- Woody did 6 hours of work on the Ohlone Trail.
- The Rocky Ridge Trail is open again.
- Paul said the bike trails are in great shape.
- The restoration of the second barn at the Bernal Ranch will
get funding this summer.
- Volunteer hours should be reported
updated 5/7/09 by Ronald
Horii, secretary of the Friends of Santa Teresa Park